List:       amanda-users
Subject:    Re: Mac OS X installation of Amanda
From:       Jose Hales-Garcia <jose () stat ! ucla ! edu>
Date:       2009-02-12 19:50:46

On Feb 12, 2009, at 11:02 AM, Dan Brown wrote:

> I have about 30 Mac OS X (10.3, 10.4, 10.5) computers/servers I am
> installing Amanda on but I am finding that the process of
> installation (for which I've scripted so there's not a whole lot I
> have to do), will take up to three hours on a slower machine because
> of the need to install Xcode, MacPorts, and Amanda.  The biggest
> time consumer happens to be the installation of Xcode and
> Macports.    While I am sure there are some libraries needed, has
> anyone created (or have some tips on) a completely static, fully
> bundled libraries version of amanda which could be installed within
> 20-30 minutes rather than 2-3 hours?

I've not done this with Amanda per se, but I've done it with other
software, so I think it should work with Amanda.

Assuming you have the MacPorts libraries needed by Amanda (mainly
glib2) already installed in /opt/local, you could tar this directory
up and push it to your clients and unpack it remotely.  We use Apple
Remote Desktop to do such tasks.  (ARD obviates the need to set up SSH
keys, so it's a faster setup, although costlier.)

Jose