List:       amanda-users
Subject:    Re: breaking up harddrives for gtar
From:       Mike Fedyk <mfedyk () matchmail ! com>
Date:       2004-08-31 22:37:14

Jon LaBadie wrote:

>On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 04:57:42PM -0400, Jason Castonguay wrote:

>>Hi,
>>
>>Right now I am using amanda for a few different linux servers. My disklists
>>use the directories where different partitions are mounted. This has been
>>working pretty well, but I read somewhere that one can get even better
>>results by breaking things up to as many small directories as one can. This
>>makes sense to me, as it will allow amanda to schedule different level
>>backups the best she can even if it makes things perhaps more difficult to
>>keep track of.
>>
>>So I collected on each client the names of the harddrives for it.
>>
>>find / -type d -fprintf ~/amandalist "`hostname -f`\t\t%p\tcomp-user-tar\n"
>>
>>and I have an idea to exclude all subdirectories in the dumptype, but then I
>>run into the problem of users creating and removing their own subdirectories
>>and then dealing with those. Do people who advocate this sort of setup
>>generate their disklist each time they run amanda? or do they not have to
>>deal with this problem? What is the best use of gtar?
>>

>I do it with a set of disk list entries all with the same
>starting directory but different uniq "tag" names.  In most
>I use the include directive (or include append) to list the
>subdirectory or directories I want backed up by that DLE.
>In one final DLE starting from the same directory I use the
>exclude append directive to eliminate all the subdirs backed
>up by the earlier mentioned DLEs.  This serves as a catchall
>for any dirs not specifically backed up by its own DLE.

Can you give an example of this?

You have multiple entries in your disklist something like so?

hostfoo /parent  comp-tar-master
hostfoo /parent/a  comp-tar-child
hostfoo /parent/b  comp-tar-child

And comp-tar-master excludes /parent/a and /parent/b?

Otherwise, doesn't Amanda keep you from doing this?

hostfoo /parent  comp-tar-master
hostfoo /parent  comp-tar-child-a
hostfoo /parent  comp-tar-child-b

which is the same as the previous except comp-tar-child-a includes
/parent/a and comp-tar-child-b that includes /parent/b

Doesn't Amanda prevent you from several DLEs with the same path
("/parent" in this case)?

Mike