List:       amanda-users
Subject:    Re: SMBCLIENT program not available
From:       Jon LaBadie <jon () jgcomp ! com>
Date:       2002-06-28 23:15:03

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 11:59:21PM +0200, Martin Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did configure amanda with-smbclient=/usr/bin/smbclient and the smbclient
> programm is there.
>
> I am running amanda and samba on the same machine on which I confugred amanda.
>
> I got an other hint:
> I should not connect to my samba-server via "localhost" but use the FQDN
> instead in the disklist file.
>
> All what happened was, I got the same error message, but instead of
> "localhost" there is "rappelkasten.local" (My FQDN).

That is unlike any FQDN I've seen.  Generally internet names take the form
host.domain.{com|net|org|gov|...}  For example, I'm on butch.jgcomp.com.
Local aliases that resolve to FQDN's are generally ok too.  For example,
I just need "butch" or "winnie" in my disklist as they resolve to
butch.jgcomp.com or winnie.jgcomp.com.

Can you do things like ping rappelkasten.local, or telnet or ftp to it?
What about just rappelkasten?

For your PC system, I presume that system is named "rumpl" and it has
a shared directory of "lwd".  I get those from the following.

> > > Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> > > --------------------------------
> > > ERROR: localhost: [This client is not configured for samba: //rumpl/lwd]
> > > ERROR: localhost: [SMBCLIENT program not available]
> > > Client check: 1 host checked in 0.084 seconds, 2 problems found

Can you do the ping of "rumpl" and maybe telnet/ftp or at least access denied.

If you have other pc's, can they share the "lwd" directory?

Can you do an /usr/bin/smbclient //rumpl/lwd -U <PC USER NAME>%<password>

I.e. independent of amanda, can you access the pc with samba.
If you can't do that, no way amanda can make it work.

Have you set up /etc/amandapass with the system/user/password info.
Does it have the proper ownership and permissions?  See docs/SAMBA.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  jon@jgcomp.com
 JG Computing