List:       amanda-users
Subject:    amanda problems with xinetd and ipv6
From:       Ron Snyder <snyder () roguewave ! com>
Date:       2002-06-28 2:26:59

I came across some of your posts in the amanda archives regarding the
problem you're having and I think I might have a clue about it.  We've been
having the same problem recently, and I think it corresponds to our enabling
ipv6 on the machine in question. The startup script (at least in redhat) for
xinetd checks to see if ipv6 is enabled, and starts up xinetd-ipv6 instead
of xinetd.  I believe that this is the source of MY problems, because my
logs show a change right at the time that amanda stopped being able to back
up this machine.

Jun 23 22:47:25 webfoot xinetd[737]: START: amanda pid=19221 from=10.68.9.11
Jun 23 22:48:13 webfoot xinetd[737]: START: amanda pid=19255 from=10.68.9.11
Jun 24 16:00:02 webfoot xinetd-ipv6[812]: START: amanda pid=2143
from=::ffff:10.
68.9.11
Jun 24 16:10:04 webfoot xinetd-ipv6[812]: START: amanda pid=2282
from=::ffff:10.
68.9.11

In your most recent post (Sunday I believe), you said that you believed the
problem was that amanda was incompatible with xinetd, but I think that it's
only incompatible with xinetd-ipv6.  My opinion is that there should be some
magic xinetd file entry that says something to the effect of "this program
doesn't understand ipv6 addresses, so it should only be shown ipv4
addresses".  I haven't found that magic option yet.

I suppose the problem may also be related to the glibc on this machine,
although I'm kinds of doubting that.

-ron