List:       amanda-users
Subject:    Re: Suggestions please - amanda can't backup remote client.
From:       Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 () duke ! edu>
Date:       2002-06-27 13:12:38

On 25 Jun 2002 at 4:59pm, klavs klavsen wrote

> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>   compaq.vse /etc lev 0 FAILED [input: can't open: žS@: No such file
> or directory]
>   compaq.vse /etc lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]
>   compaq.vse /www lev 0 FAILED [input: can't open: žS@: No such file
> or directory]
>   compaq.vse /www lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]

> >Also, what is reported in amanda*debug and sendbackup*debug on the client?
> I get nothing on the client-side.. how do I enable that debug? I tried
> to set log_type deamon debug in the xinetd config-file - but still no
> output - except from secure that says my servers ip logged on to the
> amanda-service.

Amanda by default should create debug files in /tmp/amanda.  If they're
not being created then something is definitely wrong.

> I do have a iptables firewall on the client which is on the same subnet as the server.
> But I don't get anything about denied packages in the kernel-log..
> so unless the statefullness is broken somehow that shouldn't be it?
> Every other service on the client works fine (incl. ftp, news and
> imaps).

I don't know iptables at all.  Are you sure it would log the errors.

At worst, you could run a packet sniffer and see exactly what's going on.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering