List:       amanda-hackers
Subject:    Backing up a host with 2 hostnames?
From:       Paul Lussier <pll () mclinux ! com>
Date:       2001-08-24 15:47:21

Hi all,

I'm continuing my quest to back up a high-availability cluster.  As
I mentioned previously, I have 2 systems clustered together.  One
other issue which I neglected to mention previously, is that there's
a firewall between the amanda server and the cluster.

This didn't seem relevant at the time, since I wasn't having a
problem connecting to and backing up each physical node in the
cluster.  However, now I'm attempting to back up the file systems
shared between the cluster nodes via a third IP/hostname pair.

Here's the scenario:

       ----------            ---------
       | Host a | ---------- | Host b |
       ---------- \        / ---------
                   \      /
                    \    /
                     \  /
                   ---------
                   |host c |
                   |Virt IP|
                   ---------

Host a and b are physical systems, and host c is the virtual IP through
which the cluster is accessed through.  All "clustered" file systems
are accessed via the host c interface, so it's irrelevent whether
host a or b is the current master node.

I can connect to host a and b and get amandad running (tested so far
only via amcheck)  but when I try to connect to hostc, I can see the
incomming connection on whichever physical host is the master,let's
say host a for the moment.  However, the connection from amandad on
the physical host never makes it back through the firewall.

I'm guessing that when amandad fires up, it initiates a connection
back to the server and somewhere the hostname of the system amandad
is running on is involved.  Using tcpdump, I see that the client is
attempting to make the connection back to the server, but the
firewall appears to prevent the connection, since the firewall only
knows about a connection from amanda<->host c, not a connection
between amanda<->host a.

Is this an accurate assumption, that amandad opens a connection based
on the hostname of physical system it's on?  Is there a way to tell
amandad to open the connection with a different hostname?

Thanks all,

--

Seeya,
Paul