List:       amanda-hackers
Subject:    Re: amrecover and tar options...
From:       Alexandre Oliva <oliva () lsd ! ic ! unicamp ! br>
Date:       2001-01-20 1:39:09

On Jan 19, 2001, "Marc W. Mengel" <mengel@fnal.gov> wrote:

> I recently ran into a problem when attempting to restore
> some stuff in /usr/lib on an IRIX box with amrecover, that it
> stomped on a shared library it was using (libc.so), killed
> tar and itself, (not to mention rendering the whole system useless
> until I booted off CD-rom...)

Man!  I'd never overwrite libc.so on a live system, especially with
amrecover!  IIRC, the behavior of GNU tar has changed in its latest
alpha release, regarding prior removal of files, for security
reasons.  This would probably help in your case.  But I don't see a
reason to not install this patch, since the -U option has been around
for a while.

> The only possibly unpleasant side-effect I can think of is that
> files which are otherwise unchanged by the restore may end up with
> a different inode number, and that the  ctime and mtime would change,
> rather than just the mtime.

Besides, the directory containing the restore files will have its
mtime changed.  But that's ok, I suppose.