List:       amanda-hackers
Subject:    Re: How to get 2.5.0 (alpha/beta?) release?
From:       Joi Ellis <gyles19 () isis ! visi ! com>
Date:       2000-09-03 16:47:14

On Sun, 3 Sep 2000, Cejka Rudolf wrote:

>And is it possible to get full RCS files from sourceforge CVS server
>(a mirror of CVS repository)? It would be very helpful in many cases.
>I can do this operation with FreeBSD's CVS repository, but they are
>using modified CVS servers and clients (CVSup) and I do not know
>how to do it with standard CVS.

You're asking if you can get the *,v files from the repository, right?

It's possible for the project administrator to download a nightly
tarball of the cvs tree.  I don't think it's possible for regular users
to do that.  Even admins don't have access to the physical location
where the cvs trees are stored, we have to use remote access just like
everyone else, the only difference is that we have a real username to
login to cvs with.  There are a few CVS-management things where you'd
physically enter the CVSROOT and edit something, but we have to ask SF
to do that for us, we can't do that ourselves.

With cvs, the *,v files are stored in a duplicate tree structure.
With RCS, you'd probably have a source directory named 'here/thing.c', and its
RCS "repository" would be 'here/RCS/thing.c,v'.  With CVS, you have a
completely separate tree of repository directories.  So it'd probably
look like "CVSROOT/here/thing.c,v" with no 'RCS' in the path.  With CVS,
everything under the root is an 'RCS' directory.

RCS files import directly under CVSROOT without change, other than their
location.

What operation are you trying to do locally which requires the *,v
files?  I've only recently started using CVS myself after using RCS for
years and I haven't come across anything that required direct access to
the *,v files.

--
Joi Ellis
gyles19@nospam.visi.com, http://www.visi.com/~gyles19/