List:       amanda-hackers
Subject:    WARNING: cvs.portal2.com: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
From:       Kent Ho <kent () outblaze ! com>
Date:       1999-01-29 7:43:55

Hi,

Please help.  I'm getting 'Host down?' problem.  I'm trying to use
AMANDA to backup the  localhost.  So my machine
is the host and client.

In my /etc/inetd.conf I have inserted:
    amanda          dgram   udp     wait    kent
/usr/local/libexec/amanda/amandad amandad

In my /etc/services I have inserted:
    amanda          10080/udp

In my distfile:
    cvs.portal2.com     /dev/da0s1f             comp-user

I have also inserted:
    cvs.portal2.com kent
to /etc/hosts.equiv and ~/.rhosts just in case but I'm keep getting the
following message.

Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
/cvs/amanda/holding: 2174156 KB disk space available, that's plenty.
NOTE: skipping tape-writeable test.
Tape OB0 label ok.
Server check took 0.094 seconds.

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
WARNING: cvs.portal2.com: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
Client check: 1 hosts checked in 60.096 seconds, 1 problems found.

(brought to you by Amanda 2.3.0)

Please tell what's missing and what I need to do to fix the problem.

Many thanks.

Kent.