List:       amanda-hackers
Subject:    Re: Locking patch for FreeBSD et al.
From:       Alexandre Oliva <oliva () dcc ! unicamp ! br>
Date:       1999-01-20 14:10:50

On Jan 13, 1999, Sean Kelly <kelly@plutotech.com> wrote:

> By rearranging the fields, I've gotten Amanda to work reliably for
> several months now.  If you don't mind, would you apply the attached
> patch to the source and make it available in future releases of Amanda?

Well, your approach of testing for the BSD definition is not a good
one.  The manual of GNU autoconf recommends that one shouldn't test
for versions; the right approach is to test for features.  We'd
probably be safe if we left `lock' be zero-initialized, and set up the
fields manually.

For example, you should create a configure test that created a flock
variable and tried to assign 0 to its l_pid field.  If it failed to
compile, it means there's no l_pid field in struct flock.  Then, you'd
AC_DEFINE(HAVE_FLOCK_PID) or not, depending on the outcome of the
test, and use the value of this define within amflock.c

Would you like give it a try?

--
Alexandre Oliva  http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva  aoliva@{acm.org}
oliva@{dcc.unicamp.br,gnu.org,egcs.cygnus.com,samba.org}