List:       amanda-hackers
Subject:    Re: Linking amanda on SunOS4.1.4
From:       Alexandre Oliva <oliva () dcc ! unicamp ! br>
Date:       1997-11-17 14:37:17

Ronan KERYELL writes:

Alexandre> There's a bug in gcc that makes it unable to handle
Alexandre> shared certain shared libraries the way libtool creates
Alexandre> them.

> I've used the --disable-shared option and it just work fine for a week
> now. But I am not sure that the bug is really in gcc. Looks rather in
> work-around in libtool... But anyway, that works !

The bug is in collect2, a wrapper for ld that gcc uses for taking care
of global symbol initialization.  collect2 looks for shared libraries
in the run-time search path (-R), not in the compile-time search path
(-L).  Thus, it doesn't find shared libraries.

I recently found out you can build shared libraries by setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.libs

The next release of libtool will be able to work around this bug in
collect2.

--
Alexandre Oliva
mailto:oliva@dcc.unicamp.br mailto:aoliva@acm.org