List:       amanda-hackers
Subject:    Next Release of Amanda??
From:       Andrew Kroeger <andrew () cpre1 ! ee ! iastate ! edu>
Date:       1997-07-01 5:21:10

Hello all...

Just catching up on all my mail from last week and saw the message
from Curtis Varner about the *unofficial* 2.3.0.5 release he put
together by applying all available patches to the 2.3.0.4 release.
While I personally don't agree with what he did (calling it 2.3.0.5
will definitely cause confusion with someone at some time) I do agree
with his idea of pulling all patches, updates, etc. together and
making another release (an official one) from it.

A number of us have contributed patches, ideas, etc. to the list to
help in the development of Amanda.  Currently, the only information I
can find on updates to the 2.3.0.4 release is the Amanda Patches Page,
which only addresses patches, etc. that solve problems with Amanda --
no changes in functionality unless it's to solve a problem or a bug.

I see a few problems that could (probably already have) develop running the
development in this way:

 - The more patches applied to the 2.3.0.4 release in the "official"
   development tree, the harder it becomes to coordinate.  Patching an
   already-modified source tree doesn't always go smoothly.  Also, if a
   bug is introduced in all of the changes that are made, it is harder to
   determine where it came from.

 - The more changes made to the code between releases, the more
   difficult it is for individual users to keep everything in sync with
   any local changes they may have made.  While many such changes could
   be incorporated into the actual releases, many of them are system/site
   specific and wouldn't be useful, and other changes may be labeled
   "company property" or "proprietary" and cannot be released.

 - People can get discouraged from trying to help if there doesn't seem
   to be any progress.

What I would like to suggest is to pull everything together now as it
stands any make another release.  Then, instead of these large gaps
between releases, make new releases frequently as patches, changes,
etc. are done.  Those who have a working configuration and don't
need/want anything more are under no obligation to change.  Those who
are keeping up with the development or are looking for some additional
functionality could upgrade to the next release.

I found out about Amanda and subscribed to both the -users and
-hackers mailing lists right after 2.3.0.4 was released.  The traffic
on the lists at that time showed a lot of support in the development
as far as patches, configuration, and general troubleshooting.  Now
that everything is "settled down", I am seeing a larger percentage of
new user questions regarding problems that have already been
patched/solved but aren't included in any release.

I cannot speak for anyone else -- these are only my thoughts.
However, I think that "speeding up" the development/release process
will only help Amanda.  I would much rather deal with some glitches in
a release that are fixed within a week or two in the next release than
have to sit for extended periods with tied hands waiting to see what
comes next.

Andrew Kroeger

DSDL System Administrator
131M Coover Hall