List:       amanda-hackers
Subject:    Re: Hypothetical AMANDA setup - any comments?
From:       Rob Jenson <rbj () disaster ! gsfc ! nasa ! gov>
Date:       1995-07-24 0:25:44

George,

	I second the need for a 'latest-start' parameter in
the next release of AMANDA (which is why I sent this
reply to amanda-hackers instead of amanda-users)... Our
transition from 2.1.1 to 2.2.6 has led to some 4-hour dumps
going to 11, 12, 13-hour dumps depending on the network and
sizes.  It's not really AMANDA's fault, it's the switch
do that as quickly.

	Since there is no way to stop AMANDA (short of killing
her manually), we need a way to have 'planner' stop spawning
dumper processes after a certain time (on the server).  My
users get really nasty if they get in to work and find this
user 'amanda' chewing up all their CPU when they want to chew
it for breakfast doing data analysis.

	The short term solution is to either remove the 'compress-fast'
option from your larger filesystems, or get some more tape drives.
Another possible problem is how your tape servers are configured
in relation to your clients on your network(s).  We made things
much better for all the AMANDA processes by localizing a few
tape drives on the same subnet as the client, (or, more true
to the current "architecture" here, behind the same bridge).  All I
can add is that 'not being able to reliably back up all the machines
every night' has usually been good enough to get someone to squeeze
out the $$$ for more tape drives.

_rob_

--
Rob Jenson, Code 664 Systems and Network Administrator
Hughes STX Corp. @ NASA GSFC Lab for High Energy Astrophysics