List:       amanda-hackers
Subject:    Re: why directly to tape so much?
From:       Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud () cs ! UMD ! EDU>
Date:       1994-02-23 18:06:05

 > Hi-
 > My system has 1.8 GB of holding disk but still sends a number of  filesystem
 > (over 500  MB) directly to tape.  Why does this happen?  can it be fixed
 > somehow?
 > Thanks-
 > -Gary
The only case when this is supposed to happen is when the expected dumprate of the
disk is greater than the bandwidth specified.

Following awk program should tell you if this is the case

nawk '{if($1=="pondering"){disk=$2;getline; \
if($10=="rate"&&$11>200) print FILENAME, disk, $0} \
else if($1=="INITIAL") close(FILENAME)}' amdump.? amdump.??

The fix is to increase the bandwidth parameter to reflect the fact that you have a
fast hosts with fast disks.

	Olafur