List:       amanda-hackers
Subject:    Re: if someone knows how .... -- git repo branch names
From:       Gene Heskett <gheskett () shentel ! net>
Date:       2019-11-08 13:52:31

On Friday 08 November 2019 08:19:42 Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 23:43:25 +0000, Chris Hassell wrote:
> > I did some code reviews and then pulled ... but the changes ended up
> > on master.
> >
> > Given master is *mostly* dead... I've carted them without fanfare
> > over to 3_5.
> >

> > 1)      Are we willing to go and create 3_6 or 3_5_1?
> >
> > 2)      Is there a better way to re-apply/distribute pull requests
> >         when they merge cleanly on another important branch?
>
> This doesn't answer your main question, but on the topic of branch
> names: I assume we would NOT want to name any branch "3_5_1", since
> 3.5.1 is already released and these new patches are on top of the code
> at that point in time, (presumably) building toward a 3.5.2 release --
> I don't see why that activity wouldn't just happen on the existing 3_5
> branch....

100% agreed.

> When you say master is "mostly dead", do you mean "it hasn't had any
> activity in a long time" or "it is full of significant changes which
> no one still around understands, and thus probably we should
> ignore/abandon those changes and go back to the existing 3.5.x
> codebase" ?

When Mr. Mitchel was working on it, his branch was called 4.0.0aplha#####
or something like that, and I ran it as  my server for 15 or so new
builds but it got incompatible eventually so I've been building 3.5.1,
but there has been no real effort to track the patches so far, so I've
zero markers to define what I actually have if I pull a new clone of
3.5.1 right now.

This needs fixed, so we know where we are.

I think we should establish a 3.6.0 milestone that works, the track
patches with at least a 4 digit extension to the basic 3.6.0 milestone
until a 3.6.1 can be put together that works for everybody.  Wash. rinse
and repeat.

FWIW, I do have copies of several of the 4.0.0 versions here.

> 							Nathan

>------ Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  nathanst@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic
> region Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -
> http://www.ontko.com/ GPG Key:
> http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239 Key
> fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239

Copyright 2019 by Maurice E. Heskett
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis