List:       amanda-hackers
Subject:    Re: Application API
From:       Nick Smith <nick.smith () techop ! ch>
Date:       2008-10-07 15:13:50

Paddy Sreenivasan wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 5:50 AM, Nick Smith <nick.smith@techop.ch> wrote:
> > Paddy Sreenivasan wrote:

> > > Nick, are you working on an application plugin that uses zfs send/recv
> > > instead of gtar?
> > >
> > Hi Paddy,
> >
> > Yes I am. I got a zfs send/recv implementation working with 2.6.0 but I lost
> > it during the upgrade to 2.6.1 (idiot). The follow on application is nearly
> > ready but currently is partnered with customized version of amzfs-snapshot
> > to handle the checks & estimates on non-mounted fileystems. If the my
> > 'amzfs-snapshot-sendrecv; script is not significantly different to
> > 'amzfs-snapshot' I'll merge them together if no-one objects.
>
> I think we should keep it separate.
>
> amzfs-snapshot will use gnutar to do the actual backup of files from
> zfs snapshot. This will allow recovery of files.
>
> amzfs-snapshot-sendrecv will use zfs send to do the actual backup of
> filesystem. This will be similar to a filesystem
> dump backup.  It can share the estimate and check routines with amzfs-snapshot.

This is what I'm working on. The issue is that currently that amzfs-snapshot requires \
that the ZFS filesystem is mounted for the 'df' command to work. So work is required \
to support mount and unmounted filesystems that I will do in the next few days \
(workload permitting).

> Does amzfs-snapshot-sendrecv use an intermediate file or does it try
> to send the zfs send output to the server?

It sends the output directly to the the server. i Got this working briefly with \
2.6.0p2 but lost the script :(

> thanks,
> Paddy
> > > thanks,