List:       amanda-hackers
Subject:    Re: tpchanger or not
From:       Jon LaBadie <jon () jgcomp ! com>
Date:       2006-07-17 14:47:57

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 02:14:20PM +0200, Daniel CONDIS wrote:

> >> "The tapedev parameter is ignored if a tpchanger program is specified"
> >

> > This is not really true.  Where exactly is that mentioned?  (to be
> > fixed!)
> >
> This is mentioned in the wiki and in the online documentation, chapter 8
> : Amanda tape changer support, section"Specifying a tape-changer in
> amanda.conf"
>

> After this precision, I thank you for your answer, although this wasn't
> really what I needed...
> Let me be more precise. I understood the script/ program system you have
> to set up in order to use a changer (that might implies more config files)
>
> But...
> When you use a changer, is it still tapeio.c that performs the operation
> on the tape?
> And, when you _don't_ use a changer, is there any function in changer.c
> that is still called?
>
> I'll be happy to know that, in fact what I can't clearly figure out is
> what is dedicated to changer.c (via the chg-... scripts) and what to
> tapeio.c.
> At first I thought that there might be two branches in the device
> access: one if there is a simple tape reader and one if there is a
> changer. But this doesn't seem to be true.
>
> I hope I have been more clear about the information I want. Thanks

Daniel,
I don't know the answers to your questions.
Just a comment about a way to explore.

In the file server.c/conffile.c the parameters from amanda.conf (et al.?)
are converted to an array(s?) to store the parameters seen.  From this
point on, other identifiers are used in the code rather than what was
in the amanda.conf file.  Related to tape changers I found these three
(I'm sure there are others):

  CNF_TPCHANGER
  CNF_CHNGRDEV
  CNF_CHNGRFILE

Grep'ping on those may get you closer to your goal.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  jon@jgcomp.com
 JG Computing