List:       amanda-hackers
Subject:    Re: joerg's comments in another forum
From:       Matthias Andree <matthias.andree () gmx ! de>
Date:       2006-07-11 10:45:21

Jon LaBadie <jon@jgcomp.com> writes:

> In a newsgroup I came across this comment by
> Joerg Shilling, the author of 'star'.
>

>> >4. Try my luck with Amanda (but from what I read in the manual wrt
>> >   "holding space" Amanda seems to buffer by whole images only...)
>> >6. Convince Joerg to add the functionality described under 4.
>>

>> This is not my task... The Amanda guys did promise to add code to
>> support star, once the incremental backup/restore is ready.
>> This happened 1.5 years ago and nothing related in Amanda did happen.
>>
>> Some people in the Amanda team still seem to distrust star while they
>> at the same time trust GNU tar which is a mistake  :-(  The incremental
>> features of GNU tar are still cvery buggy.
>>
>> If you like to see star support in Amanda, you would need to convince
>> many people to request this feature from the Amanda team.
>>

> Anyone familiar with any events or correspondence that would match
> Joerg's comments?

Ask Jörg

1. which GNU tar version he's looked at
2. what *exactly* the bugs were
3. if he reported the bugs and what the bug tracking number or list
   archive URLs or message IDs are

Some nasty comments:

ad 1. it'll likely be an older one

ad 2. he'll probably point to older bugs, so you need to ask twice or
      thrice until you get a detailed answer, if you get one at all that
      is

ad 3. the answer will likely be him just pointing to some archive
      without details that might help you retrieve information.

May I suggest that the amanda hackers wait until a fortnight after star
1.5 will have been released, checking the star support places carefully
if end users report issues in that period, and after that look at star
and evaluate it.

I found star all too often marked a backup as "partial" (when something
changed) so I find it less practical.  The last star version I tried was
1.5a60.

--
Matthias Andree