List:       amanda-hackers
Subject:    Re: ERROR: no tape online
From:       "Nicholas Berry" <nikberry () med ! umich ! edu>
Date:       2002-09-27 23:08:55

Hi.

Don't know how, but I seem to be entering this halfway through - I can't find the \
thread on Amanda Hackers.

Anyway, to answer your question (possibly) about what a changer should do:

There are three things it can return:
0 - no error, no brainer!
1 - error, but not fatal
2 - _fatal_ error.

Now what's a fatal error? Well, bear in mind that Amanda's response to a non-fatal \
error will be to try to load the next tape. If you think that might work, return 1. \
If you know it's hopeless, return 2.

Sorry, probably not much help.

Nik

> > > John Koenig <jfkoenig@vipb.com> 09/27/02 15:54 PM >>>
>
> OTOH, I cheerfully build and install every snapshot Jean-Louis puts
> up on his site, and a lot has been "smoothed up" in the current
> 2.4.3b4 snapshots.  I might be worth the effort, maybe even the
> changer stuff works for you now, its running mine just fine.

I am thinking my issue is not related to a particular version of
AMANDA. Besides, I cannot try 3b3 of any build considering the fact
that it will not build on the Tru64 platform. So I am stuck with the
tools at hand.

*** I would think that my media changer should not be incurring
*** an I/O error after the tape was loaded and after a successful
*** amcheck confirmation.

Does anyone know what would happen if this configuration was that of
a changer? How would AMANDA/amdump/amtape proceed after that error?

Moreover, how is the changer module supposed to handle this I/O
error? What should the changer pass back to amtape on stdout/stderr?

Thanks in advance.. I hope some folks can provide some guidance and
more suggestions...

I am attempting to complete the development of a changer module for
this platform, so useful information, for these purposes, would be
very helpful...

thx!