List:       alsaplayer-devel
Subject:    [Alsaplayer-devel] Handling metadata independently of input plugins
From:       "Peter Lemenkov" <lemenkov () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-10-31 20:44:24

Hello All!

We got bunch of poorly maintained and outdated code in almost every
input-plugin - metadata parsing (input_plugin::stream_info function
and supplementary ones). Although there are various improvements in
RFCs for almost every format/stream type and some general purpose
libraries for dealing with metadata we still use these old and hackish
implementations.

I decided to propose another approach. I discovered interesting
library - taglib, which capable to handle id3tag, ogg/flac, mpc and
(still not implemented by me) ape tags.

I attached very pre-pre-beta patch - it's only a proof-of-concept but
may show that it's really working.

So I requesting for comments - are any objections of removing
metadata-related code from input plugins? From my point of view -
there are many advantages (better support for modern RFCs, security
etc), better and cleaner codebase and so on. As for portability -
taglib included in almost all linux distros existed (don't know about
commercial unices), written in C++ but w/o external dependencies.

--
With best regards!

["alsaplayer--initial_attempt__generic_metadata.diff" (application/octet-stream)]