List:       alsaplayer-devel
Subject:    Re: [Alsaplayer-devel] xruns in alsaplayer
From:       Mark Knecht <mknecht () controlnet ! com>
Date:       2004-10-08 21:19:01

Andy Lo A Foe wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Which kernel/patches do you use?

2.6.9-rc2-mm4-VP-S7 (ACPI turned off, UMP)

> -p8 -n2 sounds incredible, I don't think my soundcard can even handle
> this. Do you only experience these xruns when playing CD's and WAV's, or
> also with other type of files (also disk based e.g.)?

These are the only two I've tried so far:

1) CD - xruns are consistently created as I go from song to song. I
suspect that there is some small period of time between when the song
finishes (one file on the CD) and the next song begins. (A second fie on
the CD) Does alsaplayer generate it's own 'silince' while moving between
both files?

2) Wave files played from a hard drive. Same as above. When the first
wave file ends there is a delay (I'm guessing) befor ethe file system
starts returning data for the next file. If so, does alsaplayer generate
it's own silence during this period?

Again, these are minor points and have only shown up as I've been able
to move toward very low latencies more reliably. I thought you'd be
interested.