List:       alsaplayer-devel
Subject:    RE: [Alsaplayer-devel]question about libalsaplayer's functionality (and its possible incorporation i
From:       "Ivica Bukvic" <ico () fuse ! net>
Date:       2003-10-26 17:54:15

> Currently alsaplayer only allows stereo playback.

So, I guess it can play a mono sound in a stereo fashion, right?

How much overhead would it be if I had the same mono sound played on 2
virtual stereo devices (defined in asoundrc) having 4 instances: one for
front left only (stereo 1 panned left), one for front right only (stereo
1 panned right) etc.? In this case I should have the individual sound
level settings for each of these sounds, right?

> Not currently because in my experience setting the loop points
correctly
> results in an absence of clicks/pops.

I guess I was referring to real-time stuff, rather than manually seeking
good looping points. As a matter of fact I just had an idea where
ramping would not be even necessary, but rather, when a user would
specify a place in the sound, the lib would search out the closest
0-crossing and then do the same for the end, hence eliminating the "pop"
without mutilating the sound :-). I tried this manually in a sound
editor and it worked just fine even if the slopes were contrary at the
0-crossing.

Btw, what do you mean by sample-accurate looping?

Best wishes,

Ico