List:       alsaplayer-devel
Subject:    RE: [Alsaplayer-devel]Re: Dead time between tracks...
From:       "Mark Knecht" <mknecht () controlnet ! com>
Date:       2003-09-08 17:09:03

Mike,
   Just my 2 cents, but I think in the random play mode it doesn't matter if
there is dead time between tracks since the artist didn't intend you to play
them in that order anyway.

   The artistic 'problem' I have with alsaplayer putting dead time between
two tracks that are in order is that the artist (RWPL, Pink Floyd,
Quicksilver Messenger Service) put their tracks on CD with audio right out
to the end of the first track and audio starting at the very beginning of
the second track since they intended there be no dead time. From what I can
tell, if we just read data and continued to play it right out to the end of
the first track and just continued reading the next track we wouldn't have
this problem.

   It seems to me (from a logical perspective only) that when alsaplayer is
playing track 1, and it sees that track 1 is ending, it doesn't get ready to
play track 2. It seems like it might be waiting for track 1 to finish before
it decides what the next thing to do it.

   If it just kept going, when playing tracks in order (not random) that
everything would probably work correctly.

   Anyway, I don't think the random order list is an issue.

thanks,
Mark