List:       alsa-user
Subject:    [alsa-user] Re: Questions about the SB Live
From:       Chris Baugher <baugher () enteract ! com>
Date:       2000-02-29 4:39:52

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Mike Gifford wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> A while ago you told Shane to do the following with either a SB live or
> SB 128:
>
> Chris Baugher wrote:
> > 1) unmute the line in
> > 2) set the line in as the capture device
> > 3) set the level of the line in to 0
> > I'm not at home so I can't verify this but try the following:
> > amixer set 'Line' capture
> > amixer set 'Line' unmute
> > amixer set 'Line' 0
> > You can also use alsamixer to do the same thing but more graphically.
>
> How on earth do you do this.  I haven't been able to get anywhere or see
> any files to configure that look like this.  After I have installed the
> program, where do I find the alsamixer?

Hmm, maybe I was a bit vague. Sorry about that. I wasn't talking about any
configuration files. "amixer" and "alsamixer" are command line utilities
that come with the alsa-utils package. You can get it from the ALSA ftp:

ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/utils/

Once you build and install the utils package you can run amixer or
alsamixer. "amixer" is just a simple command line program for setting
playback and record levels and such. "alsamixer" is also a text based
utility but it has a graphical interface and is a little easier to figure
out.

Incidentally I just ran alsamixer right now and it appears that the mute
switch controls whether or not the "line in" is routed to the "line out".
So what I said before would have worked but was probably not the best. If
I remember correctly the original question was how to record from the
"line in" without hearing that signal from the line out. So if you wanted
to use amixer to do this you would run at the prompt:

amixer set "Line" mute capture

Or you can use "alsamixer" and set things that way. In "alsamixer" the
left and right arrow keys select the channel(master, line, mic, etc.); the
up and down arrow keys set the level; the <m> key sets mute; and the
<spacebar> sets capture. I hope this makes things clearer:)

good luck!

Chris|

------