List:       alsa-devel
Subject:    [alsa-devel] clicking with au files
From:       David Fries <dfries () umr ! edu>
Date:       2000-04-28 2:50:13

Is there any way to stop the clicking at the end of sun audio format files
when I play them with aplay (or similarly played sounds)?

aplay reports Playing Sparc Audio 'bubbles.au' : Mu-Law, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
Sound cards
computer 1, Trident 4DWave, 4DWaveNX, mixer Analog Devices AD1819
computer 2, Trident 4DWave, 4DWaveNX, mixer Cirrus Logic CS4297
computer 3, OPL3SA - Yamaha OPL3-SA3

All three computers have bad clicks at the end of au files when I play
them.  I used a program xwave to convert them to wave files and played with
with aplay and I don't hear any click at the end,

Playing WAVE '/tmp/bubbles.wav' : Signed 16-bit Little Endian, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono

I recorded playing from one computer to the other and looked at the wave
form, at the end of the sound sample it immediately goes to one extreme,
goes tward the center, fluctuates around the mid point, jumps to the other
extreme, goes back to the center and stays there.

Would this be a driver issue or a hardware issue?  I wouldn't have thought
they would have built the hardware with annoying clicks like this in them.

One of them should be synced up with the alsa-driver in the last couple
days.