List:       alsa-devel
Subject:    [alsa-devel] Re: [ALSA webmaster] 3D Audio Drivers (fwd)
From:       Jaroslav Kysela <perex () suse ! cz>
Date:       2000-04-27 20:32:59

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Scott Draeker wrote:

> >> I'm meeting with Creative and Crystal Semi this weekend. I'd like to know
> >> your thoughts beforehand on whether it makes sense to recommend ALSA as
> >> the base for creating the driver SDK.
> >>

> >Definitively.
> >
> >OSS/Free is outdated when it comes to API flexibility, multi-soundcard
> >support , pro-audio cards and format support etc,  compared to ALSA.
> >
> >Especially now that distributions will come with ALSA installed by default
> >( Suse sponsoring the project,  Mandrake 7.0 comes with ALSA other will
> >follow)
> >
> >anyway from an application developer point of view, ALSA is heaven
> >compared to
> >OSS/Free.
> >(much more capatibilities to query card features, channels, buffers ,
> >samplingrates etc , support of digital I/O , (SPDIF) )
> >
> >Plus my impression is that OSS/Free doesn't have that much active developers
> >and mantainers as ALSA has.
> >
> >Of course ALSA provides full OSS/Free backward compatibility therefore
> >old legacy apps will still continue to work.
> >
> >Keep in mind that some pro-audio cards do provide (and will) only
> >ALSA drivers, because the OSS/Free API simply doesn't cover the
> >special features of these cards.
> >

> >> Scott Draeker
> >> President
> >> Loki Entertainment Software
> >>

> >regards,
> >Benno.
>

> Benno:
>
> I guess what I'm looking for is a partnering between ALSA and OpenAL.
> ALSA could become an officially supported driver architecture for OpenAL,
> and ALSA would officially support OpenAL. Some card manufacturers,
> Crystal Semi in particular, are really looking at having a driver
> architecture on Linux which operates seamlessly with OpenAL.
>
> Let me know your thoughts on this.

We would like to support OpenAL and generally 4.0 and 5.1 players and
libraries. Unfortunately, we have other more general problems with
higher priority at this time. Watch this list.

BTW: Why OpenAL uses direct ioctl calls? This method will be never
supported officialy for the ALSA API, because many things are implemented
in the user space and specially generic 4.0 and 5.1 support will be
available only through this library.

						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@suse.cz>