List:       alsa-devel
Subject:    [alsa-devel] Re: cs461x
From:       Shiv Sikand <sikand () sgi ! com>
Date:       2000-04-26 19:41:01

Jaroslav,

I have some more information that might be useful, but it is in the
context of the Crystal PCI sound card on the newer 600X IBM ThinkPads.

If one sets the 'pcibuspower' setting to disable in the BIOS ( using the
PS2 DOS pogram supplied by IBM), the AC97 timeouts go away for both OSS
and ALSA.  I think that this stops the PCI bus clock and the CS chipsets
have support for this thru CLKRUN.

However, ALSA still has a problem, since it says card out of range (0-0)
while OSS actually works. I suspect with a little more twiddling the
ALSA driver can be made to work. Some people have reported it working,
but I suspect they have APM support disabled in the kernel. This is a
hard thing for me to disable on a 650 Mhz PIII laptop which eats battery
even when SpeedStep is active and clocks down to 500 Mhz.

OSS (Dev Mazumdar) claims that they correctly follow the CLKRUN
protocol but there might be some differences in ThinkPad motherboards
which some people say might be the problem, but clearly there is more to
it than that since I still have to disable the power setting in the
BIOS.

I have asked IBM for help, I'm not sure if that will yield fruit.

Thanks a lot,
Shiv

------