List:       alsa-devel
Subject:    [alsa-devel] ALSA and libKMid
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antlarr () arrakis ! es>
Date:       2000-02-28 23:43:14

Hello,

Some time ago I was on this list trying to give ideas on how to
build the sequencer. I had to quit and I didn't did anything more
as I was quite busy with other projects.

This morning I started having a look at the sequencer, and I have
to say that it has impressed me quite a lot, great work !

But that's not all I wanted to say.

Recently, I separated KMid (you know, the KDE Midi/Karaoke
player) into the GUI (KMid itself) and the player engine (libkmid),
which is now distributed separately.

LibKMid is included within the kdelibs as the "KDE way" to
add Midi support to an application (it includes everything from
simple functions that just play a midi by passing its name as a
parameter to low level midi classes).

I just wanted to say that I've added native ALSA support within
libkmid, so KMid and any other KDE application (well, game :-) )
has now native ALSA support. Also non-KDE applications can use
libkmid (like XShipWars does), so we'll have music on the desktop
in lots of "applications" with native ALSA support :)

Btw, libkmid now supports ALSA and OSS with the same exact API
(for now, as I'll extend the API with respect to ALSA in order
to have more control on that cool queues). If you want to read
more about it, the homepage (with the full docs online) is at
http://www.arrakis.es/~rlarrosa/libkmid.html
(but you can get the sources with ALSA support only from the
KDE daily snapshots from CVS)

Btw, I found a small bug in asoundlib.h (in fact, in seqmid.h),
just search for the word "dulation", I suppose you mean
"duration" :)

Well, and now some questions. What's the difference between
snd_seq_flush_output, snd_seq_event_output_pending
snd_seq_extract_output, snd_seq_drain_output and
snd_seq_drain_output_buffer ?

Using flush_output works well for me, but I doubt what do the
other ones do.

The only problem I have (with respect to alsa, and for now :-) )
is that it keeps notes pressed when the client dies without
closing the connection and I have to turn off and on my keyboard
manually. Is this known to you ? It doesn't matter that much, as
I'm going to reimplement that stuff to take advantage of the
ALSA sequencer, but I suppose you may want to know it.

Ah, I'm checking that the user is running ALSA (I must check
it in order to use ALSA or OSS API at runtime ) by checking
if "/proc/asound" exists and is a directory, is this
"the right way" ?

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez