List:       alsa-devel
Subject:    [alsa-devel] Re: How to make control lists?
From:       Jaroslav Kysela <perex () suse ! cz>
Date:       2000-02-28 20:19:49

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Anders Torger wrote:

> I'm currently making the control switch interface (used by alsactl) for the RME
> Digi96 driver. I want to be able to have a switch "Input", with the four choices
> "Optical", "Coaxial", "Internal" and "XLR". Unfortunately I did not find any
> driver that uses these kind of multichoice switches/lists. There are
> SND_SW_TYPE_LIST and SND_SW_TYPE_LIST_ITEM, but there exists no code that
> uses them, and I failed to find anything in the mailing list archive, nor the
> current available kernel API documentation.

These two switches are not used at this moment.

> Could I get some information on how to create this kind of switch, if it is
> possible?

LIST - handles only value.item_number which must be between low-high range
       (usually 0-<count_of_items-1>)
LIST_ITEM - (read-only) returns item ID in value.item and low & high
	    members must be equal to requested item number (application
	    must pass this information)

Note: If you don't want to touch some trouble (alsactl must be also
updated), use the BYTE switch at this time as all other drivers.

						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@suse.cz>
SuSE Linux    http://www.suse.com