List:       alpine-info
Subject:    Re: [Alpine-info] Using alpine with google groups
From:       "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas () telefonica ! net>
Date:       2020-10-17 19:31:23

On Saturday, 2020-10-17 at 21:06 +0200, Lucio Chiappetti wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Oct 2020, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>>  It is really a mail list, living at "something....@googlegroups.com". it
>>  behaves as any other mail list - just that you know that google does
>>  standard things A BIT DIFFERENT, in the google way.
>
> As I said in the previous posting. I would stress the "bit different" more
> than the "as any other". It can mimic a mailing list, with web archiving
> enabled by default.
>
>>  I don't think this can be related to "converted" usenet groups, you
>>  would receive tons of mail sent to those group. I don't see the
>>  advantage, but maybe that's what they do :-?
>
> The relationship with usenet groups is that google groups was born more or
> less at the time google absorbed dejanews. It is unlike in the sense that
> "proper" google groups do not support nntp. I have no idea what they do for
> "distribution" of usenet groups, I use a proper nntp feed to read and post to
> them, and see those posting from google groups are sort of despised.
>
> For me usenet groups were (are) the ideal way to handle a forum. Postings are
> transient, postings do not need to be stored locally, one can read them using
> via a normal e-mail client, one can see and read just the newest postings
> with "mimicked deletion".

Yes, I also read them via a proper nntp client, but I don't like how
Alpine does it. I use Thunderbird, or Pan. I have tried other text mode
clients, but I din't like any.

On the one hand, I like the client tracking what I read and what I answer,
without deleting anything. And on the other hand, I do not want to learn
more interfaces with their own peculiar way of doing things that do not
feel natural to me.

> Of course for technical forums like this list, a mailing list with daily
> digest mode is also acceptable. One reads the postings once per day, deletes
> allo not interesting, uses a normal e-mail client.
>
> Some web forum tools like phpBB allows more or less to do the same.
>
> google groups (configured as default) allow reading one message at a time by
> mail, or all via web. I think their digest mode is not at the level of
> mailman lists though.

I don't know.

I am subscribed to one or two google groups, not linked to usenet. Private
mail lists.

- --
Cheers,
        Carlos E. R.
        (from openSUSE 15.1 x86_64 at Telcontar)