List:       alpine-info
Subject:    Re: [Alpine-info] fetchmail - was Re: Old messages shifted into today's list
From:       Eduardo Chappa <alpine.chappa () yandex ! com>
Date:       2020-06-14 8:22:49

On Sat, 13 Jun 2020, Milt Epstein wrote:

> Thanks for that detailed explanation.  But it seems that most of what
> you talk about has to do with Google/gmail.  Do you know whether/how
> it applies to Microsoft/Office365?  For example, does item 1 only
> apply to Google, such that what's already in fetchmail will work with
> Office365 (with perhaps some slight adaptations)?

Dear Milt,

   as I said earlier, I took a look at the way that fetchmail implements
XOAUTH2, and what it does is to use a script that allows it to generate
refresh tokens and access tokens. This is based on an adaptation of a
script by google. I took that script and adapted it to work with outlook,
so you could use that script to generate access tokens for fetchmail in
the future.  For the convenience of people like you that use other tools
that will require you to have some way to access your email using XOAUTH2,
I have added this script to the source code of Alpine. It can be found in
the scripts/ directory.

The link to the directory is
https://repo.or.cz/alpine.git/tree/HEAD:/scripts

I also added a page explaining how to use this script at
http://alpine.x10host.com/scripts/ooauth2.html

it contains examples and pictures. Maybe you can convince the fetchmail
developers to adapt it to their software, or maybe you can learn how to
use it, in case they do not get to this on time.

I hope this helps.

--
Eduardo