List:       alpine-info
Subject:    Re: [Alpine-info] viewing HTML + inline images?
From:       Eduardo Chappa <alpine.chappa () yandex ! com>
Date:       2020-06-08 3:50:23

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020, Eduardo Chappa wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jun 2020, Iosif Fettich wrote:
>
>>> Maybe this is something we need to add to Alpine....
>>
>> +1
>
> I have been working on implementing this, and I am hitting a barrier.
> at the last step.

I wanted to update everyone where I am at this moment with this. First, I
have an experimental implementation in the git repository, ready for
anyone to test it. There is a link from the Release Notes that teaches you
how to use this command, but the simplest form to use it is to go to the
ATTACHMENT SCREEN, place the cursor over a TEXT/HTML attachment and press
"X".

I eventually decided against using /tmp for several reasons. I do realize
Alpine already uses /tmp for temporary files, but for this feature tese
files were email messages, so I am treating them as privileged
information. When I was a student at the University of Washington, I never
had access to Alpine in a personal computer, but /tmp was a shared
resource used by faculty, staff and students, and I did not feel that
Alpine should be placing copies of email messages in a shared resource.
Because of that, Alpine will use the ~/.alpine-html directory, or
alpine-html folder in PC-Alpine. This is a similar decision to using
~/.alpine-smime for saving all smime information. I am refraining from
putting personal email messages away from user space.

Alpine creates temporary subdirectories in this directory, and removes
every directory it created that has been there for at least 10 minutes, or
upon exiting, whichever comes first. The directory .alpine-html is also
temporary, meaning that Alpine will try to remove it upon exiting, or when
no temporary files created by Alpine remain in it.

Please test it, and let me know if you have any suggestions for improving
it. Thank you.

--
Eduardo