List:       alpine-info
Subject:    Re: [Alpine-info] Can't poll yahoo imap
From:       Eduardo Chappa <alpine.chappa () yandex ! com>
Date:       2020-04-01 3:31:09

On Sat, 22 Feb 2020, Bob Bernstein wrote:

> [...]
> Trying that config drops me into "...retrying PLAIN
> authentication...", which of course fails to connect to
> yahoo.

I have been following a thread in comp.mail.pine by Adam Kerman, and he
made Alpine work with Yahoo following a very convoluted process. I will
quote his messages here for the sake of completeness of the record.

<quote>
Yahoo considers alpine to be an "other third party app", and not a
superior method of using Yahoo mail versus the horrid Web interface.
Yahoo requires that a password be generated for an "other third party
app". This is done on the account setting Web form, not in the Yahoo mail
settings Web form. Yahoo displays the generated password just once,
expecting the user to copy it to the clipboard. If one loses the password,
then it's necessary to delete the password token and generate another one.
</quote>

And then, here are the instructions to have Alpine change the password it
already stores in the password file (for thos that use a password file)

<quote>
(All this assumes that instructions for setting up Yahoo mail were
followed and the correct syntax is in .pinerc or a role for using Yahoo
mail SMTP was set up with the correct syntax. btw, even though Yahoo sez
to use SSL with SMPT, use the /tls parameter instead.)

1) Exit from alpine

2) Open Yahoo account settings Web page (not the mail settings Web page)
using Web password

3) Delete "other third party app" password token

4) Obtain yet another "other third party app" password

5) Restart alpine

6) DO NOT submit master key to decrypt .passfile

7) Start SMTP Yahoo session by composing a test message

8) Offer newly created Yahoo password

9) Submit master key to decrypt .passfile in order to store password

10) Verify that it worked

11) Exit from alpine

12) Repeat steps starting at Step 5 for Yahoo IMAP session but check the
inbox instead of composing a test message at Step 7
</quote>

I hope that passing this information to you and others in this list helps
you get back to using Alpine with Yahoo! again.

--
Eduardo