List:       alpine-info
Subject:    [Alpine-info] Re: [optacon-l] Re: A Bit Out Of Topic: For Gmail Users Only
From:       Jyrki Voutilainen <jykke.voutilainen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-10-26 18:02:49

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013, Ann wrote:

> The only reliable way I've found is just to use another SMTP server. It
> isn't illegal, and if you can find or have one to use, it works flawlessly.

But like Steve told on the Optacon list, you may get a personal copy from Gmail by \
adding recent: without spaces in front of your user name, and that seems to work. But \
I remember me trying that once, but getting a connection error from Gmail, but not \
this time.

And like I told  when replying to the Optacon list, the problem is that Gmail \
considers the sender's posts received from a mailing list as duplicates and removes \
them instead of letting the user receive them. Therefore the only way to receive your \
own posts from lists like this is still to send your posts through another SMTP than \
Gmail, and this can easily be done in Alpine. When you wish to send through Gmail's \
SMTP, you may use the default settings if Gmail is your primary Inbox in Alpine.

> Gmail has been doing this for years, and thousands of people have
> complained about it. They obviously don't intend to change it.

No, even though it would be possible to do this simply by stopping to consider the \
user's own list posts as duplicates.

> If you find an actual way that does not involve using a different SMTP
> server, please let me know.

Adding "recent:" in front of your Gmail user name is a compromize.

--
Jyrki Voutilainen
mailto:jykke.voutilainen@gmail.com