List:       alpine-info
Subject:    Re: [Alpine-info] Requiring a password for sending
From:       Eduardo Chappa <chappa () gmx ! com>
Date:       2011-10-27 1:31:28

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011, White, Stephen wrote:

:) If you try to send an e-mail to an invalid account on the local domain,
:) alpine asks for a username and password:
:)
:) HOST: localhost ENTER LOGIN NAME [anyuser] :
:)
:) This should not be happening, they should be able to send to an invalid
:) account without authenticating, does anyone have any idea why this
:) might be happening?

Dear Stephen,

  I had a problem like the one you mention, when Alpine was Pine. At that
time, I was in a system where teh server was accesible through rsh. In my
case, I made a modification to the .cshrc file which resulted in Pine
asking me for the password to access the server, when in fact, before I
made those modifications I did not need to enter my password.

  In my case, the problem was that the rsh command would return an error
code, which made Pine ask me for my password. As you see, the error was
not that I could not login, but that the .cshrc file has an error. The
problem went away when I fixed the .cshrc file.

  So my hunch is that what you are seeing is that localhost is returning
an error code (there is an error after all), which Alpine interprets as
"login failed", so it asks you to log in.

  I hope this makes sense.

--
Eduardo
http://patches.freeiz.com/alpine/