List:       alpine-info
Subject:    Re: [Alpine-info] Notice on Patches for *pine web site
From:       Mike Miller <mbmiller+l () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-04-23 22:28:10

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011, Eduardo Chappa wrote:

>> Also, can you clarify whether or not you are allowing your patches to
>> be incorporated into the re-alpine project, and/or whether or not you
>> consent to having them included in 3rd party packaging of re-alpine?
>
> That is a *really* long story, which I will tell you the day we meet. At
> this time, there is no permission to integrate the patches into
> re-alpine.

At least other developers now know that you cannot help the project and
your patches only stand in the way of progress.  I have to say that this
is really peculiar and I've never seen anything like it on any other
project.

Here we have a guy on an email list for a FOSS project who responds to
many messages by sharing patches, but those patches cannot be incorporated
into the project code base.  I suppose there is a good reason for this
seeming insanity, but my guess is that we'd be better off if Eduardo would
just stop "helping" in this way.

I should add that for many years I assumed that Eduardo was making patches
that could be incorporated into the code base someday, so it came as a big
surprise to me a few months ago when he first seemed to suggest this was
not the case (by not responding to a direct question about it).

Eduardo -- I think you should at least be clear when you submit patches
that they are proprietary software that cannot be used in certain ways.
You should tell us how they can be used and, preferably, why you are doing
this.

Mike