List:       alpine-info
Subject:    Re: [Alpine-info] full URLs?
From:       "Sean C. Farley" <scf () FreeBSD ! org>
Date:       2010-07-02 14:33:31

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jul 2010, Matt Ackeret wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Jul 2010, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
> > > I actually wanted to write up a spec for this, i.e. a way that
> > > terminal windows could push urls to client systems,
> >
> > On OS X, I can just "open URL", but for some reason it doesn't work
> > very well.  I went back and forth with Eduardo a while about it, but
> > we couldn't figure out the issue (AFAIR, he couldn't ever reproduce
> > it).
> >
> > > annoying in this way, and because to view an attachment someone
> > > sends me,  I have to save it locally and then download via HTTP in
> > > another window.
> >
> > ok, at least for attachments in emails, I can also usually just view
> > attachment, which then opens them in the GUI program responsible
> > (e.g. Preview for PDFs or images).
>
> You are running alpine on your local machine.  I am running it on a
> colocated box 3000 miles away, where alpine has no idea what is in the
> local filesystem of the machine connected to the keyboard where I'm
> sitting.

I have this in my .pinerc to allow the same file to be used on my
workstation as well as my gateway, if needed:

url-viewers=_TEST("test -n '${SSH_CONNECTION}'")_  "/usr/local/bin/w3m",
         _TEST("test -n '${DISPLAY}'")_  "/usr/local/bin/firefox _URL_ > /dev/null \
                2>&1 &",
         _TEST("test -n '${DISPLAY}'")_  "/usr/local/bin/opera -newpage _URL_ > \
                /dev/null 2>&1 &",
         _TEST("test -n '${DISPLAY}' -a -x /usr/local/bin/w3m")_  \
"/usr/local/bin/xterm +sb -T W3M -n W3M -g 135x45 -e /usr/local/bin/w3m _URL_ > \
/dev/null 2>&1 &",  "/usr/local/bin/w3m"

The first one will run w3m if I am connected remotely.

If you just want a quick grab of the URL, how about a shell script to
echo the _URL_ and wait on a read until you hit enter:

Untested script:
#!/bin/sh

echo "${@}"
read nothing