List:       alpine-info
Subject:    Re: [Alpine-info] the right way to send the quit signal
From:       kap4lin <kap4lin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-30 14:39:45

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 1:02 AM, Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik
<ruskie@codemages.net> wrote:
> :2009-12-29T21:08:kap4lin:
>
>> Two machines: A and B. I am physically present at A and login to B
>> (ssh) and start alpine. I leave A and physically login to B (read as
>> Home to Work etc..). There is already an alpine running on B which is
>> connected to a terminal on A. I want to quit this "remote" alpine on B
>> and start a fresh one. So, "kill -s SIGQUIT 1234" on B and start
>> again.
>
> dtach, tmux, screen all work very well in this case :)
>
> It's actually the perfect use case for them.

@Doug:
Thanks, SIGTERM works better. For some reason, SIGQUIT  seemed more
appropriate for 'Quit'ting from alpine. My naivete!!

@Others:
Well, i had been using screen earlier, but the email partition (on B)
is mounted over nfs to /miscl/mail and /var/spool/mail is just a
symlink - this was creating some file-locking errors over long running
(say a few days) screen sessions. (/home is also mounted over nfs.)
Since this was a different nut to crack (I'm just a user w/o adm
rights), I preferred a sub-optimal (kill) yet quick (get-things-done)
solution.

Thanks again.
--
Regards