List:       alpine-info
Subject:    Re: [Alpine-info] .Sent Messages
From:       Özgür_Gökmen <og () ozgurgokmen ! net>
Date:       2009-10-19 21:42:16

Thanks Matt.

On Monday, 19 October 2009, at 23:08, Matt Ackeret seems to have written:

> You can also tell Mail to use a different folder for sent-messages.

Tought of this. Couldn't figure out how.

> (IIRC, when I used Mail regularly, I had it use the same sent-mail folder
> that pine/alpine use.)

Remotely, or locally?

> I think you control-click on a folder and tell it to use that as the sent
> mail folder, or else it's in advanced preferences.

Doesn't seem to work that way. Neither in Mail.app 3.6 (936) nor in 4.1
(1076). Mail.app's default Sent folder, which renders as .Sent Messages on
the server side, can't be renamed by ctrl-clicking; and via Preferences,
one can only decide whether to store sent messages on the server or not.
And under the Advanced tab in Preferences, if one doesn't indicate the
IMAP Path Prefix as INBOX, then Mail.app stores sent mail locally.

I can always rename the remote Sent folder (INBOX/Sent according to
Mail.app, namely the .Sent folder on the server side) by a ctrl-click, and
set up my .pinerc accordingly, and, say, keep all my sent messages in
.Sent Messages folder on the server side. Then again, the first time I'm
desperate without an ssh connection and forced to use SquirrelMail or the
likes, I'll find a .Sent folder re-created on the server side.

Thus, until I find a more practical way, or a means to rename the default
Sent folder of Mail.app, the plausible solution seems to use to different
folders for sent mail, and define them in .pinerc so as to access them
both from Alpine, and Mail.app.

Özgür