List:       alpine-info
Subject:    Re: [Re-alpine-devel] [Alpine-info] select fails sporadically (using
From:       Luise Kunkle <sem-pa () bar-do ! net>
Date:       2009-10-19 15:04:38

Hi Mark,

Mark Crispin wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Oct 2009, Luise Kunkle wrote:
>> I get my mails by fetchmail, it *is* stored locally in the INBOX
>> (/var/spool/mail/owner) and in local folders and sub-folders in the
>> dir. /home/owner/mail.
>> Still, I do have the same problem sporadically, though not as often
>> and pronounced.
>
> I have seen no evidence of it that problem ever happening in Alpine's
> local mailbox searching, or in the mailbox searching used by Panda IMAP
> and UW IMAP.  If you have such evidence, I very much want to see it.

I do not exactly know what "evidence in this case could be - anyhow I
have none at present.

A couple of weeks ago I straightened up my then "catch-all" local
mailbox. It was not the INBOX - it was one that alpine had inherited
from pine, where all mail was filtered to. Pine, b. t. w. had the same
problem - which never amounted to enough trouble to make me look for a
remedy. It still would not have done - just with the topic coming up I
thought I would ask.

Anyhow, straightening up this mail box there would be some leftovers,
which select had not caught. Just a few, and not for all threads.

I do not know enough to understand to appreciate what you explained
about the parsing. In any case, the phenomenon was there: I was in the
folder index, the subject or sender would be right in front of my nose,
copying it into the select prompt would bring the response that it was
not found.

Another (non) problem may fit in here:

Now, in alpine, I set up filters for mail from mailing lists etc., from
the INBOX, which so far have worked without problems.

However, I wanted alpine to empty the INBOX and filter all the mails not
covered by the specific filters into the catch-all folder. Therefore I
set a filter to: sem-pa-pa@bar-do.net. I was concerned that all the
mails might get filtered into the catch-all this way but wanted to try
it out.  Instead the filters work as described, but the mails with the
above address remain in the INBOX.

This also is not a problem - but since you are interested..:-)

(The reason I am presently using thunderbird instead of alpine is a
hitch with my postfix sending - has nothing to do with alpine)

Regards

Luise