List:       alpine-info
Subject:    [Alpine-info] Alpine folder collection behavior with dual-use
From:       Mark Crispin <mrc+uw () panda ! com>
Date:       2009-10-06 23:13:10

Consider a folder collection on the server defined as "[]" (thus all
mailboxes).  The server returns the following:

 	* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" boxA
 	* LIST (\HasChildren \NoSelect) "/" dirB
 	* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" INBOX
 	* LIST (\HasChildren) "/" boxC

In the Alpine FOLDER LIST view, we will see:

 	INBOX/		boxA[/]		dirB/		boxC[/]

Since boxA and boxC are displayed identically, it appears that Alpine
doesn't pay any attention to the children attributes.  I'm pretty sure
that I added support for children attributes in later versions UW IMAP;
they'd be called LATT_HASCHILDREN and LATT_HASNOCHILDREN.

However, the listing for INBOX is bizarre.  I'm guessing that there is
explicit code in Alpine to make it impossible to access INBOX as a mailbox
in a top-level folder collection, because if the folder collection is
#mail/[] we get

 	* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" #mail/boxA
 	* LIST (\HasChildren \NoSelect) "/" #mail/dirB
 	* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" #mail/INBOX
 	* LIST (\HasChildren) "/" #mail/boxC

and we get the expected FOLDER LIST view:

 	INBOX[/]	boxA[/]		dirB/		boxC[/]

I never understood why Alpine (and Pine before it) felt that it was so
important to exclude INBOX from a top-level folder collection list.
Apparently the presumption is that the INBOX would be listed in
incoming-folders, but that is not guaranteed to be the case.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc