List:       alpine-info
Subject:    Re: [Alpine-info] Re: Quoting multiple e-mails (NOT Attaching another
From:       Matt Ackeret <mattack () apple ! com>
Date:       2009-08-31 19:36:17

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009, Jacob Wegelin wrote:
> several windows? If you do this, how does alpine keep track of which emails
> have been saved, deleted, marked as answered, etc.?

It gets that info from the IMAP server.  (Yes, I'm presuming you're using IMAP.)

1) run two instances of alpine (or any IMAP email program)
2) delete a message (but don't expunge) in one instance
3) wait a little while (until the second one 'checks' with the server), and
the message will "magically" appear deleted in the second one.

The *only* problem is if you have filters.  Alpine "hide" messages that
have been moved by filters.  (They're really deleted, they just don't show
up at all on the instance of alpine that ran the filter.)  So on the second
one, you may see deleted messages that don't show up on the first.

Also, possibly your filters may run multiple times, I'm not positive about
that part.