List:       alpine-info
Subject:    [Alpine-info] syncing to Google Contacts (or something else)
From:       Mike Miller <mbmiller+l () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-06-23 19:48:35

It would be pretty cool to have an easy way to update the Alpine
addressbook from Google Contacts.  Have any of you been doing that?

I haven't started using Google Contacts in earnest, but I have a Gmail
account.  I access it mostly by POP and fetchmail and I use the Gmail SMTP
server from Alpine.  The Google Contacts system is fairly new (freed from
Gmail last month, I think) and I expect it to continue to improve.

The Alpine system mostly stores name and email address, but it also
includes "Nickname", "Fcc" and "Comment."  Anything from Google Contacts
other than name and email address could be shoved into the Comment field,
or just not saved in Alpine's addressbook.  I'm not sure if Google
Contacts uses a nickname field, but they *should* use one with Gmail.
The Fcc field is needed only by Alpine, but maybe Google Contacts will
allow user-defined fields someday.

What have the rest of you been doing?

I use Ubuntu right now and would be interested in ways I might generate
the Alpine addressbook from some Db, especially one that can sync to
Google Contacts.

I also have a Palm Pre, and it is supposed to be able to sync to Google
Contacts.  It would be nice to get it all working together.

Mike