List:       alpine-info
Subject:    Re: Re-Alpine - Reborn Alpine ... Re: [Alpine-info] Extensions needed
From:       Guido Ostkamp <pine () ostkamp ! fastmail ! fm>
Date:       2009-06-11 17:44:18

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Mark Crispin wrote:
> I've never heard of git before.  Even though the Linux kernel uses it, I
> suspect that many more people use svn.  Maybe it'd be better to use svn?

Nope.

A FOSS DVCS (distributed version control system) like Git, Mercurial or
Bazaar is by far a better choice than SVN as you have the complete history
available and checkins & branches are easily done without requiring access
to a remote server.

Changes can easily be made available as emailed patches, pushed into
server repo (when you have access) or the maintainer can pull them from
the developers public repo (if existing).

If you want to get into the stuff, check out this comprehensive screencast
<http://gitcasts.com/posts/railsconf-git-talk> by Scott Chacon.

There is also some interesting talk of Randal Schwartz (one of the
Perl guru's) at <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dhZ9BXQgc4>

Regards

Guido