List:       alpine-info
Subject:    Re: [Alpine-info] What's a 143??
From:       "Benjamin R. Haskell" <alpine () benizi ! com>
Date:       2008-12-26 5:11:22

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008, Beartooth wrote:

> 	I can ssh into the remote account where I keep my main email
> account, but commanding alpine launches it only to hit an error 143, and
> a message saying something like "Cannot connect
> to localhost" -- even if I su to root.
>
>        The hits I'm seeing on google are either apparently irrelevant, or
> obviously over my head. :-(
>
> 	What can I do?

Port 143 is the standard port for unencrypted IMAP. So, it sounds to me
like alpine is attempting to connect to your local machine, rather than
the remote account. I'd guess that something is misconfigured with alpine.
Another point of failure might be DNS resolution, but misconfigured alpine
sounds more likely.

Best,
Ben