List:       alpine-info
Subject:    [Alpine-info] Default role is not catching?
From:       Ramon Cahenzli <ramon.cahenzli () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-11-13 20:55:44

Hi list,

First of all, thanks for the excellent MUA. My very first job was support
for one of the nation's first ISPs, and we used PINE there. Returning to
Alpine felt like coming home, my fingers still remember all the shortcuts!
:)

My mail configuration back then was simple, but nowadays I have multiple
e-mail addresses, SMTP and IMAP servers etc., and I'm struggling to
configure Alpine for it.

The problem is with roles. The documentation at
http://www.washington.edu/pine/tech-notes/config.html#role-config says:

"Since header patterns, AllText patterns, and BodyText patterns which are
unset are ignored, a role which has all header patterns unset, the AllText
pattern unset, the BodyText pattern unset, the Score Interval unset, and
the Current Folder Type set to "Any" may be used as a default role. It
should be put last in the list of roles since the matching starts at the
beginning and proceeds until one of the roles is a match."

I've put my "from_gmail" role last and made sure to have all those fields
unmatched, yet my "from_work" role always seems to take precedence (it has
the Recip pattern set).

Also, when composing a message, "from_work" is always chosen, I have to
explicitly use # to compose as someone else. Is there a way to make my
"from_gmail" rule the default for compose?

Thanks a lot,

Ramon