List:       alice
Subject:    Re: [alice] Asus A7V266-E Problem
From:       Pieter Hollants <Pieter.Hollants () suse ! de>
Date:       2002-05-02 22:00:29

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Parviz Karandish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed SuSE 7.1 with 2.4 kernel on an Asus A7V266-E base system (AMD
> Xp)  with 1G memory.
> When I rebooted the system hanged with the following error :
>
>  Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 21:03
>

> The SuSE support data base suggests to append the following in the
> /etc/lilo.conf, I did but it did not work.
>
> linux mem=1024M
>
> I noticed that it did not find the eth0 which is a Netgear PCI Ehetnet
> card.
> Also it selected my first hard drive as hde instead of hda which may not be
> relevant to the problem.
>
> Do I need  an special patch, or special BIOS setup for SuSE to work with
> this board?
>
> Please Help!

1. This is not the correct mailing list. Please subscribe to suse-linux-e
or contact Installation support, since that's what those guys get paid
for.
2. "Unable to mount root fs" most probably results from a self-baked
kernel, or a kernel version so old that it doesn't include the Promise IDE
driver you seem to have attached your hard disk to. If the kernel is
self-baked, make sure that either you re-create the initrd
("mk_initrd") and call LILO again, or include the required modules
(pdc20xxx, reiserfs, whatever...) into your kernel and explicitly disable
the initrd by commenting it out in lilo.conf.
3. "mem=XXX" just makes the kernel think it has lesser memory and not
touch certain memory regions. It should not influence how the root fs is
found.
4. I'd suggest to try SuSE 7.3 or SuSE 8.0. Especially the former has
improved considerably over previous versions (LVM _and_ RAID support in
YaST2), albeit you should still grab the update kernel RPM from
ftp.suse.com.
5. Please don't follow up on this list. This mailing list is for
discussion of auto-installs of SuSE Linux setups with and without ALICE.

--
Pieter Hollants                       Phone:  +49 (0)6196/50 95 1-25
SuSE Linux AG                         Fax:    +49 (0)6196/40 96 07