List:       alice
Subject:    Re: [alice] ALICE / ppc / software raid
From:       Fabian.Herschel () suse ! de
Date:       2001-05-18 17:09:51

Pieter Hollants wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Wes Kinard wrote:
> > The main reason we are looking to SuSE is because of its support of IBM
> > pSeries boxes.  This brings me to my next questions...  Is ALICE part of
> > SuSE 7.1 PPC?  I have some early release CD of SuSE 7.1 which are supposed
> > to be pretty complete but I haven't found ALICE on them.  Looking at the
> > ftp site, I have found an ALICE update under the 7.0 tree but haven't seen
> > anything for PPC 7.1.  Off subject , I am also wondering if anyone knows
> > when yast2 might work with the pSeries boxes.
>
> Well, AFAIK ALICE contains at least some C components (Fabian, the tagged
> format parser?).

The tag parser is written in perl. The only C-Code is the
LVM-Configuration
(alice_lvm_cmd).

The problem I see using alice on an non i386 or i64 plattform is, that
_I_
do not know how to create the diskettes to boot these machines and to
start YaST1 in the auto mode.

The alice modules (shell scripts) are "only" configuration scripts at
the
linux os level. This should be equal enoguht to say, that it should be
easyly to reuse alice on these plattforms. But: Its completely untested
today!

So it's not a problem of the design.

--
Fabian Herschel                                 SuSE Linux Solutions AG
Tel:    +49-6196-50951-23                       Mergenthalerallee 45-47