List:       alice
Subject:    Problem installing 2.4.0 kernel: boot into wrong runlevel
From:       Hans Fangohr <fangohr () soton ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2001-04-26 10:27:49

Hi Folks,

thanks to Joost for his message, confirming my suspicion that a reboot in
the automated installation process is okay when installing kernel 2.4
(because on the boot disk there is version 2.2.18, and at some stage the
kernel has to be loaded).

I wrote yesterday that make_all is not executed when I change the
info file from using kernel 2.2.18 (all fine) to 2.4.0. Now I found one
reason for this:

After the system reboots (from the newly installed harddisk, using kernel
2.4) it goes into runlevel 3, but the link to /etc/init.d/boot.alice is in
/etc/rc2.d, i.e. in runlevel 2.

If I go manually to runlevel 2 (init 2), make_all is executed as expected.

How can I fix this? Can I tinker one of the alice config files such that
the new system goes into runlevel 2 (for the first time)? ...

Cheers,

Hans

For completeness below the original mails:

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Joost van der Lugt wrote:

> * Hans Fangohr (fangohr@soton.ac.uk) [01-04-25, 10:59] wrote:
> -**-
> -**-Hi All,
> -**-
> -**-Did I spot a problem with the 2.4 kernel and Alice? Or do I just not
> -**-understand? Any hints greatly appreciated!
> -**-
> -**-Here the short form:
> -**- - Everything goes fine with kernel 2.2.18 (k_deflt)
> -**- - But using 2.4.0 halfway through the installation the system reboots
> -**-   (surprisingly ?) and the installtion doesn't succeed.
> -**-
> -**-Here the long form with more details:
> -**-
> -**-Starting from the configuration that works well with the default
> -**-kernel 2.2.18 (k_dflt) I only change the kernel (either to k_deflt_24,
> -**-or to k_i386_24). Then, the following steps happen (as they should):
> -**-
> -**-- boots from floppy
> -**-- gets tulip module for network
> -**-- gets SuSE distribution via network (NFS)
> -**-- partitions hardisk
> -**-- yast installs packages
> -**-- yast installs selected kernel
> -**-- Running LILO
> -**-- SuSE configuration script runs
> -**-- clean up
> -**-
> -**-- linuxrc is visible for a few seconds
> -**-
> -**-and at this moment the machine just reboots (or crashes ??).
> -**-
> -**-This is dissappointing as make_all is not executed. And generally, I
> -**-have the impression it is not meant to be this way.
> -**-
> -**-Any suggestions what this could be? I am more than happy to provide
> -**-more data (info files, logs, version numbers) if that is useful for
> -**-someone out there.
> -**-
> -**-Or is this actually the right behaviour (because, say, we boot with kernel
> -**-2.2.18 from floppy, and then want to change to 2.4.0?) and I have another
> -**-problem somewhere that prevents make_all to be executed?
>
> You hit it on the nail right there, but I am not sure if you could get yast to
> reread/remember the autoinstall files again.
> Interesting.
>
> -
> Cheers,
>
> Joost van der Lugt

Hans Fangohr

High Performance Computing Group
Department of Electronics and Computer Science
Building 59, Level 3, Room 3237
and
Quantum and Functional Matter Group
Department of Physics and Astronomy