List:       alexandria-dev
Subject:    Re: Maven & Gump
From:       Jason van Zyl <jvanzyl () zenplex ! com>
Date:       2002-02-27 15:51:33

On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 09:26, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Jason van Zyl wrote:
> >
> > Now you are misrepresenting what I was saying. I told you how often I
> > would run builds that used HEAD. That as a pragmatic aspect of
> > development that's how often I check.
>
> SimpleLog.java was removed (or more precisely moved) on Sunday, February
> 3rd.
>
> With Gump, my hope was that instead of people polling, effectively
> information would be "pushed" out on a near realtime basis.

I believe that once I get Maven working with the Turbine projects then I
will get what I want which is transparent synchronization with Gump and
you will get what you want which is accurate project information for
correct building. You will have the correct information and you can
interact with projects as you see fit: trying to help projects move
forward, provide patches or what have you.

Maybe we could make the nag interval configurable, times, whether it's
enabled or not. Right now I'm having a difficult time keeping track of
the turbine family of projects so at this point in time I know things
are going to break and change. I appreciate the up-to-date information
but until the structure of the all the projects are codified I'm really
not that concerned with the daily problems. I will be however when we
decide the changes are complete. I say that I look every couple of weeks
but that might change down the road.

> Those that
> care about such information would then be able to express their displeasure
> in a timely fashion and possibly make a difference.  At this point, the new
> location for SimpleLog is pretty much cast in stone.
>
> My goal has always been to build more of a community here in Jakarta much
> like you find WITHIN Turbine.  If daily conversations is too much of
> burden, then can we get at least weekly responsiveness?

Sure, I'd would be cool with something like a Friday afternoon
notification and then have the weekend for people to fix things. I think
most of us in Turbine land are working on things hot and heavy during
the week so the weekend would be a good time to fix up the problems and
try to communicate with other groups. I too hope the communicating will
be easier with other groups (say after an initial contact with a member
from another development group) but right now it's not my priority.

> - Sam Ruby
>

> --
jvz.

Jason van Zyl